New Old Friend / Great Day in Tokyo / Taking Candy from a Stranger

Yesterday, I met Michiko at the train station in Saitama. She came all the way out of her way because I am train shy. Michiko is Takashi's mother. We met while they were living in Charlotte and our children went to the same Montessori School, Anami. The boys were 8 and 9ish. Their family is from Japan and gave Eric lots of interest in the Japanese culture. He would come home as a little boy just fascinated with things at Takashi's house. One day, he came home and said: "I want to live in Japan". He had kept that goal throughout his school like and in college it became closer to a reality. His first visit to Japan was his junior year in college. Then he found the JET program and moved to Japan in 2004 as an English teacher. Now, he is at the University and working in Japan. Talk about fulfilling one of your life's goals.

Anyway, Michiko and I haven't seen each other for 16 years. We immediately recognized each other and starting catching up on our families. She had seen Eric and Monica a few times already since Eric moved closer to Tokyo (which Michiko lives). Eric met Takashi, Mari (who was 6 when they moved) and Lisa (1 1/2 when they moved). On the train to Tokyo, we talked about our children and our life together in Charlotte. It was wonderful.

Michiko and I started our day at Asakusa. We went to the Sensorji Temple. "Sensoji (also known as Asakusa Kannon Temple) is a Buddhist temple located in Asakusa, the center of the shitamachi (lit. "low town").

The legend says that in the year 628, two brothers fished a statue of Kannon, the goddess of mercy, out of the Sumida River, and even though they put the statue back into the river, it always returned to them. Consequently, Sensoji was built there for the goddess of Kannon. The temple was completed in 645, making it Tokyo's oldest temple. When approaching the temple, visitors first enter through the Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate), the outer gate of the Sensoji and symbol of Asakusa. A shopping street of over 200 meters, called Nakamise, leads from the outer gate to the temple's second gate, the Hozomon. Besides typical Japanese souvenirs such as yukata and folding fans, various traditional local snacks from the Asakusa area are sold along the Nakamise. The shopping street has a history of several centuries."


It was crowded and yet so beautiful. We got our good fortune and went to the healing pot and put the smoke over us to heal anything that ails us. Then we cleansed ourselves to enter the temple. That involves cleaning our hands and mouth at the communal fountain. We also walked the small gardens with Buddha statues and smaller shrines too.

The we went on a boat ride down the Sumidagawa River. "Boats pass under 12 unique bridges on the Sumida River: Azuma Bridge, Komagata Bridge, Umaya Bridge, Kuramae Bridge, Ryogoku Bridge, Shinohashi Bridge, Kiyosu Bridge, Sumidagawa ohashi Bridge, Eitai Bridge, Chuo-ohashi Bridge, Tsukuda-ohashi Bridge, Kachidoki Bridge. Azuma, Kiyosu, Eitai, and Kachidoki Bridge are illuminated at night, and the reflection of lights on the river brings a romantic mood to the cruise. It's interesting to see old and new buildings along the river. You can see the Asahi Beer Building located near Asakusa Terminal. The shiny building resembles a glass of beer.

Boats that depart from Asakusa stop at the Hamarikyu Onshi Garden. This beautiful garden was built in 18th century, and it's like an oasis on the Tokyo Bay. It's good to stop by and spend some time here." We did not get off at the gardens. We had to change boats to get to Odaiba. "Odaiba (お台場?) is a large artificial island in Tokyo Bay, Japan, across the Rainbow Bridge from central Tokyo. It was initially built for defensive purposes in the 1850s, dramatically expanded during the late 20th century as a seaport district, and has developed since the 1990s as a major commercial, residential and leisure area. Odaiba, along with Minato Mirai 21 in Yokohama, are two of the only places in the Greater Tokyo Metropolitan area where the seashore is accessible, and not blocked by industry and harbor areas."
Fuji TV is here and we got to watch them film what we think was a commercial. It was way cute to watch. Odaiba is also where we had lunch. My favorite: Ramen

Then it was time to go and we were looking to find the train. I was still nervous about the trains so Michiko took me to the stop where I could get on the train by myself and be on the right train line for Urawa. While we were on the platform, Michiko asked a young girl about the train and then she asked about making sure I got on the right train and off on the right place. In other words, I had a Japanese girl helping me. I loved it. She watched me while I was on the train and gave me the "eye" when it was time to get off. She even walked me to the exit that I needed to be at. Japan is fun, people are nice and helpful.

I went to meet Monica after work, hoping she checked her messages from Michiko. Monica found me and we walked home together. But, while waiting on the Monica bench, I sat by a couple. The man was so nice, spoke a little English. I was looking at my pictures of the day, when he started looking at them also. We talked a bit about what I did that day, he showed his wife and we all had a good time. The man offered me Japanese candy. He held it in front of me, said good Japanese candy, and I took it. It was good! Yes, I took candy from a stranger, but its a very different culture I am in right now then back home. They left a little while later and then Monica came bouncing out of work!







Breakfast






Sensoji Temple




















Comments

  1. What a GREAT day! You should be glowing! Thanks for sharing your travels...I look forward to each days new adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!