Note from the Teacher/ I mean Bakery Lady

Konnichiwa!





Yesterday I came home with a note. Yep, a note! I felt like I was in kindergarten again. I know I was behaving yet I still get a note home. Eric and Monica had to read it to me because I don't read yet (in Japanese). I had to wait all day for them to come home before I could figure out what the note said. The Bakery Lady gave it to me, she speaks no English, I no Japanese. She did a lot of talking and hand movements and from all that I gathered that she was going to a Tea Ceremony and wanted me to go. I was right.

This morning Monica wrote a note back to the Bakery Lady saying I couldnt sit for the ceremony because of my back but I would love to go. Monica is so gracious in Japanese. Don't get me wrong, she is gracious all the time, but in English, her mouth can be as foul as mine!!! And she is NOT from New York.

Today, I walked up to the Bakery and gave her my note. She made a phone call, then ran out in the street to find someone who speaks English, to translate for me. What I gathered so far is this: Meet at the Bakery at 10:30, and someone will pick me up from there. Go ahead, Susan, here I go getting picked up by strangers once again. Well, actually, I picked up the strangers back in Wilkes County, now I let someone pick me up! I feel a bit nervous, but safe at the same time. I watched too much Criminal Minds to think the Bakery Lady is a serial killer. And I am almost twice her size!

When the kids come home, they will read my note. It's a rainy day and I have been to the pool, walked up to the bakery and am going to pick up Monica. Eric is working late tonight, after teaching English this morning, he is off to his other job! Monica and I are going fabric looking/shopping and grocery shopping. I really like every day life here. Oh yeah, when I saw pick up Monica, it actually means walk to her job, walk to the grocery store and walk home: rain or no rain.

Comments

  1. I read that there are 2 types of Tea Ceremonies. "Chakai" is a simple ceremony with thin tea and a light meal and then a longer version called a "Chaji" that usually includes a large meal and thick tea and could lasts up to 4 hrs.I think they are both some sort of hospitality ceremonies...Sound like fun to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!