Turning Japanese / Big Day for Me!




Wow! Do I feel like a BIG GIRL today. For a month now, I have been in Japan and was too scared to ride the trains by myself but this week I felt like I had the confidence to do it. I had also been riding the trains with Eric and Monica and was starting to understand how the whole system works. I took a big step today and took the train by myself to Akabane (one stop) then changed trains to Ikebukuro (one stop on the RAPID). It was there that I met Michiko and we got back on the train for Yokohama. Wow, when I write about it, it doesn't sound like such a big girl thing to do, but it sure felt empowering and big girlish.

We went to visit my friend Hiro, who I met on Skype 4 years ago. Hiro started speaking to me on skype just a few months before Eric was coming over here as a JET to teach English. It was very comforting for me back then to have Hiro to help me with my worries about my son in a new country and for Hiro to help Eric or make sure Eric was adjusting well. Thank you, Hiro! It was just a conincidence that HIro owns a Kindergarten in Yokohama. It has been fun over the years sharing pictures of the children and talking about teaching young children in different countries.

Because I was so uncomfortable with the trains, I had asked Michiko to come to Hiro's with me. She did not know him yet she agreed to come visit the school with me. She really made me feel comfortable. Hiro took us around the school, then showed us his property. What a beautiful home and garden he has. He is a very lucky man. Hiro's wife made us lunch. About 5 months ago, Hiro became a grandfather for the first time and it was a joy to see him enjoying his grandson. On the drive back to the train, Hiro made a comment about how he knew grandchildren were beautiful, but no other grandchild is as beautiful as his! What a wonderful statement! But Hiro, as soon as I start having grandchildren, I will say the same thing and mean it! lol

One of the best things that happened today is when I walked into the 5 year old classroom, the children spontaneously said hello in English. Then some of them started telling me their names and I told them mine. I said nice to meet you. They were all so wonderful and made my day. I really miss working with little children. I wish I could go back to working with them on a daily basis. Three, four and five year olds are my favorite age and today, I was with them in another country and yet they were so similar to the children I once taught.

Today is my birthday and for the first time in three years, I am spending it with one of my children. Eric has been in Japan, and Melanie has been to France, Russia and NIcaragua all on my birthday. So to have the ability to spend my birthday with at least one of my children is such a wonderful treat! Eric: glad I am here to share both our birthday's this year! Melanie: wish you were here!

This is the last week of my stay here. I don't know how to thank Eric and Monica for all the experiences that I have had. Monica: if it wasn't for you, I might not have gotten around so well or have gotten the confidence to ride the trains like a big girl. You have been such a good "mom" while I was here. And to the special person who got me this plane ticket, I don't have words to express how happy this trip has been for me. Thank you! Wow, I swear I am not sentimental and look at me.

























!

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday Ellen!
    You are the bravest, most courageous woman.
    You have been an amazing support and inspiration.
    I wish you could stay forever.
    You always doubt yourself and worry, but you have met every challenge so gracefully and always with a smile!
    You are your biggest critic and that's what makes you such a tough cookie!
    You will conquer the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are pretty damn AWESOME!! Love you lady! Now it is your birthday here in the states sooo...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!