CSA / YMCA / QUILT STORE / AND OTHER RAMBLINGS

Catch up time:  I didn't post for a few days, and my big "thing" was to post every day.  Oh well....

Yesterday, I went to two different quilt stores.  One I had contacted before I left NC and thought I would take a class there.  Then Andee, my host, told me about another store closer to where I am staying.  I went to the Quilt Tree and loved it!  I stayed for about an hour just looking around and talking to the women there.  It also is a yarn store and has classes for knitting and sewing.  I looked at her summer schedule and the open classes left for summer and Sashiko was one of them.  Last year for my birthday, Eric and Monica gave me a few books on Sashiko and I haven't used them yet.  June 30 is my class and I am very excited.  I also get a 15% discount on all fabric on the day of my class which will help me when I make my Challenge Quilt for the Quilt Show in September.




Feeling accomplished in helping me establish life up here, I relaxed a bit more.  It has been pretty stressful this week, with a lot of changes and a lot of things I was counting on, just didn't work out.  I am relaxing and feeling better and the more I drive around the more comfortable I feel.

My class is going really well.  My assistant is great!!!  She came up here from the Phillipines and has worked in that classroom for 6 years.  One of the nicest, sweetest people to know!  We seem to work very well together.  I know I have changed the schedule on her that she is used to but I have to teach the way I know.  She just rolls with the punches.  The children in my classroom are so sweet.  Most of them are three years old with some four's.  I thought each child signed up for a three week session but now I am not so sure about that.  I think next week we might have other children.  One of the first things I did was put a lot of water work out because I have a few three year old who just need it.   I only have 14 children this week if everyone shows up.  I am in this classroom for two more weeks, then I move to the full day classroom.  My hours will change to  7:30  to 3:30.  I am not worried about that but what concerns me is that from 1 to 2:30, I have 5 or 6 children to take out of the classroom as their extended day except its not extended day as I know it.  Now the teacher takes them to one of two parks or stays inside or out on the playground.  That will be the hard part for me.  But I will get used to it.

I have been going swimming and walking at the YMCA here in town.  Let me tell you the water is freezing at a whopping 83 degrees.  It is an older Y then the one I go to at home but it works just the same.  I met two women at the pool who are both professional beaders.  One of them is Native Athabaskan.  She has this blog called Don't Eat the Paste.  Check it out.  She makes about $500 a month just by plugging products and she also has another blog where she is a pattern writer for beading, crocheting and knitting.  Now, how about that!

As I am writing this, I am listening to NPR radio out of Anchorage and they are talking about misquitos and how bad they are.  So far, they haven't bothered me at all and listening to the radio is just plain ol' creeping me out.  Turning off the volume.  Also as I am writing this all the float plane are flying overhead and just buzzing by.

I have yet to be awake when the sun goes down at night and when it comes in the morning.  Interesting, isn't it!

Andee belongs to a CSA and can't use all the food she gets so I am going to be sharing her CSA and loving it.  The Alaskan vegetables are much slower to come in so for this week's CSA there was bok choy, Arugala, Mizuna (Japanese lettuce), scallions and lettuce.  YUMMY!!!





Some other random photos:




Comments

  1. Enjoying following your new adventure in Alaska!
    Great pictures. Can you take pictures from the classroom?
    What's the temperature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take pictures on Monday. The high has been about 68 almost every day. The low is 52. I kinda like this weather, but the winter is much colder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!