Anchorage Montessori School

Today, I went over to Anchorage Montessori School for a tour and to fill out paperwork and I stayed all day!  I taught at two different Montessori schools, was the mentor teacher for a few years to new interns and visited a good number of schools.  I liked this school a whole lot.  They have a lot of positive things going on there.  

One of the things I was impressed with was their playground.  They have outdoor water play and a garden that puts many of the NC schools that I visited to shame.  Remember this:  one teacher told me that they go outside every day when the temperature is ABOVE zero.  You read that right, above zero. 

Average Anchorage temperatures
High °FLow °F High °CLow °C
2311January -5-12
2714February -3-10
3419March  1  -7
4529April  7  -2
5640May13   4
6348June17   9
6552July19 11
6450August18 10
5542September13   6
4129October  5  -2
2817November -2  -9
2513December -4-10
44

30Year  7  -1



I am not sure what the rule is in North Carolina but I seem to remember that the children don't go outside if the temperature is below 32.  I also know for a fact that some teacher's don't like the cold so they do not go outside if they think it's too cold.   

One of the other things I was impressed with was the organization of the office staff and the training given to new employees.  All the paperwork that any of the staff may need is organized and in one place.  I know the last school I taught at wasn't this organized.


I am staying with one of the board members of the school.  She has an apartment in her basement that someone is staying in right now so I am upstairs in her guest room.  She is so generous with her offer and we get along well.  In case I miss Chuck, I have Madie her golden retriever who is so sweet.  I do miss Chuck but I am afraid he would run off and get eaten by a bear.

(a wall hanging in the house:  isn't he cute)

I didn't have time to take pictures of the school today but I will post some tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!