I'm here....People who I've met along the way!!

I can't believe it....I am here and not just for a week but for two months.....I always go thru this thought process when I do things like this, or stay in Japan for 6 weeks, dog sledding etc.  This is my process:  I need something new,  a new adventure of sorts.  I get real excited as it pans out and comes to fruition.  Then as I travel to whatever my destination, I question:  Who's idea was this?  What possessed me to do this?  I never come up with the answer but I know that I just need to do it!  It is a cleansing of the soul type of thing.

I am a people person and I love to learn about everyday life in all my experiences.  I just am geared that way!  Starting in Charlotte, I have met people along the way to Anchorage.  At the airport in Charlotte, I met a family who was from Raleigh: but really the mother was from New Jersey, the dad from Guatemala and that is where they were headed for a visit.  The children went to the International Language Immersion school in Raleigh and mom taught Spanish there.  The languages taught in this elementary school were French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and one more that I can't remember.

I get in the airplane finally (we were an hour late leaving).  There was this young woman next to me who said she was going back to Anchorage.  She was born and raised in Charlotte/Lake Norman area, went to UNCC and at age 24 got a job at Target Human Services in Anchorage.  So she packed her bags and moved.  She was telling me all sorts of adjustment experiences but she is staying for 2 years and then moving on.  We flew to Chicago together.



Chicago:  I had 45 minutes from the time my plane landed to get to my other flight to Seattle.  No time to talk!  I sat next to a woman and a man from Seattle.  You could tell they knew each other, but for a short time I was trying to figure out how.  Of course, those of you who know me, knows I have a vivid imagination, which just is that.  My imagination!

I had an hour from getting off the plane in Seattle to getting to the other side of the airport for my flight to Anchorage.  I always feel like I should get to the gate and then venture off for something to eat or in my case this time, I was out looking for a Bloody Mary.  I get to the gate and they say that the plane broke and we wont be taking off for another two hours.  Bloody Mary Mission accomplished!


 And finally, two hours later....I am here!  It is now 11:30pm local time which means  3:30am EST.  I am beat!  On the way to the hotel, I met a man from Croatia.  I could no longer complain about how tired I was.  He traveled over 24 hours.  On the van to the hotel, he was telling us that he is the Cruise Ship captain and they hired him for 4 months.  The Cruise captain, who I thought was probably in his 20's, my jaw dropped.  What a cool job!!!  Then to find out that most of the Cruise Lines hires captains from out of the country.  The captain said that it is definitely a more fun job then when he was running cargo barges.  Way cool!  I was definitely impressed!




I slept for about 5 hours, woke up, pulled the curtains back and this is what I saw:







I have been watching the Alaska channel for the past 30 minutes and here is what I think I have to do:  take a train ride, plane ride and boat ride.    I am going to shower, get some breakfast and go meet my new boss and the children I will be working with.

A few years ago my daughter shared something that I believe one of her professors told her:  "Life is about experiences and relationships!"  That about says it!

Thank you to all my friends and family for supporting my escapades and if you don't support them, thank you for not saying it out loud!  Let the adventures begin!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!