Wheels / I got in a car with a stranger

Today, I rented a car.  I have been looking with the help of my Anchorage boss and it just wasnt happening.  I decided that it would be best to suck it up, pay a fortune and rent a wreck.  I am having anxiety about the cost but Alvina (whom I love dearly), said I couldn't do anything else so it's ok.

When you rent a car that is not new, neither is the lot you pick it up from.  So I drove over there in Tom's car, turned around about 3 times before I made it to the right driveway and pull in to this:




Stanley, who originally came here 30 years ago from New York City to pan gold, now owns this lot.  Because I drove there myself, Stanley followed me home, then brought me back to this wonderful lot
What a strange puppy!  I should have taken a picture of him.  He proceeded to tell me that he was single for 58 years but is married now!  (Damn, a missed opportunity!)  Asked me a billion personal questions, and took me by his house in case I needed him.  What an anxiety ridden day!

Once I got the car, I tried to get to the grocery store.  This would make it my first trip since I got here.  I have been having lunch out and Andee and Tom have been feeding me in the evening.  I know I am the type of person who can give anything to anyone but I have the most difficult time taking from people.  I guess I won't ever get comfortable.  Oh well!

The grocery store was an adventure in itself.  It was huge and anytime you go into a new store no matter what town you are in, it's a brand new experience.  It was!

But, I now have a car, food for lunch and dinners, and I know how to get to work in the morning!  Of course, I have to use my GPS.  But I did it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!