Random Thoughts by Guy Smiley (or me)

Today is May 28 at 7am Tokyo time: Eric and Monica are still sleeping. Today is Eric's birthday and Ellen is feeling pensive. Somehow both my kids went through a period (when they were together), that they would refer to themselves in the third person. Maybe that is where I just got that from.

Anyway, I am feeling reminiscent about the good old days. I posted some pictures of the kids, mostly Eric because it's his birthday. My son: oh boy! He taught me alot about boys, men and life. He became the person I wished I could be, the confident intelligent being. Actually, I go thru phases where I say he is a lot like me but better. He is the confident me. When people look at him and his accomplishments, it looks like it all came easy to him, yet those of us close to him saw more of his struggles with life decisions.

My daughter has the same qualities. She is a strong, confident, intelligent woman. She looks at Eric and sees how easy he has had it but if she looks at herself, she is just the same: strong, confident and intelligent. Her perception is that life is easy for Eric, harder for her.

Somehow, I feel both my kids got the best and worst of me. They are similar yet different. Neither one is better then the other. My next goal in life is to get both my children and myself in one room for 24 hours. I want my family together in one room. I miss those times!


This is not what I wanted to blog about this morning, so change of subject here:

I wanted to talk about being thankful for what you have. I am in Japan at my son's house and I feel some cultural differences already. One in particular (and I know this if because of Monica that I am getting this impression. Eric and Monica have been living together for a number of years. Our relationship started out BAD because of my big mouth. Yet she has accepted me without restrictions. As I look around the apartment they share together, I see some very very admirable things. Monica needs organization. The kids do not have much money. Monica is very creative and what impresses me so much is her ability to put those two things together to keep organization in her life. I am sure she would love to spend money on those beautiful organizers that I love so much! Yet some of her organizers are boxes with big labels such as ERIC (and God knows my son needs that!), other organizers that are cleaver and creative that I admire are miniature cereal boxes where she has her art supplies and pens in, at the front door she uses other reused boxes for mail, etc. I admire both her organization and her creativity and the ability to know what her needs are and to address them no matter what her income is. I know these kids are struggling.







Eric's gift from Monica!



ok so the point of all this is: I think we as Americans, have become so materialistic that it is sometimes detrimental to our health and well being. What do we really need? To be able to accept who you are, to meet your own needs yourself and live a good life. I think these kids got it! Do they wish they had more money, I am sure. I wish that every day!

I remember giving my kids a hard time about when adulthood begins. I also know they both have rejected my theory at different points of their life. I could never fully explain it to them because they weren't there yet. Happy Birthday, my son! I think you have arrived!

To end with, the picture you don't want me to show. I am doing it because I am your mother! I love you!

Comments

  1. I loved this blog....and what a cute little tooshie!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is going to kill you!! I think this trip is going to help you with some of your own struggles in life! We are all dealing with issues just not the same ones. You will like yourself much more when you return from this adventure and I am happy for that...You are a great person! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!