Charlotte May 24: The night before

I wrote this Monday May 24, 2010 but I didn't have free internet to post it and everyone knows: I am the Queen of Cheap.


Today I went down to Charlotte to spend the night to catch the plane early in the morning. My friend, Marie, found a Frommer’s travel book of Tokyo and she brought it over to the hotel. Thank you, Marie. It means a lot to me. There are some very interesting things about the Japanese culture. I am always interested in other cultures, not to make me feel good but to educate myself as to the differences in all people. I think it helps to build tolerance among people. I will post the interesting things I found later in this post.

I had a drink and dinner at the bar tonight by myself. A man sat down next to me, started talking. (Some of you might think this is me, picking up strangers again but I sat down first and he started talking to me first. Ok, Andrea???) He was very well traveled and was talking about how in his travels strangers were the kindest people. He felt like the people who took advantage or were mean to him, were the people closest to him. I think this is so true! A stranger can't hurt you like a loved one can. That is my philosophy lesson of today!

A little about Japanese Customs: “Because of its physical isolation and the fact that it was never successfully invaded before World War II, Japan is one of the most homogeneous nations in the world. Almost 99% of Japan’s population is Japanese, with hardly any influx of other genes into the country since the 8th century. The Japanese feel they belong to one huge tribe different from any other people on earth. A Japanese will often preface a statement or opinion with the words “We Japanese”, implying that all Japanese think alike and that all people in the world can be divided into two groups, Japanese and non Japanese.

While in the West the recipe for a full and rewarding life seems to be that elusive attainment of “happiness,” in Japan it’satisfactory performance of duty and obligation. Individuality in Japan is equated with selfishness and a complete disregard for the feelings and consideration of others. The Japanese are instilled with a sense of duty toward the group—whether it be family, friends, coworkers, or Japanese society as a whole. In a nation as crowded as Japan, such consideration of others is essential, especially in Tokyo, where space is particularly scarce.” –Frommer’s Tokyo

I must say this hotel room is really nice. The bed is up high, lots of fluffly blankets and pillows to die for! You could not put your head on two pillows because they are so fluffly and high. I almost feel like taking a picture but I unloaded my backpack and there is junk all over the bed. One fact about me: I can sleep with stuff on the bed and when I wake up the next day, it is still in place!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank you Priceline!!!