Birding in Alaska July 4, 2012

Today, I had off work and decided to go birding.  I wanted a short day trip and not to be gone too long because I need a rest.  I went to Potter Marsh:

Potter Marsh
Wildlife Viewing

Potter Marsh, at the southern end of the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge, is an ideal break from Anchorage for birders and other wildlife viewers. From the Seward Highway just before the left turn into the Potter Marsh parking lot, you are treated to a stunning view of Turnagain Arm. A wooden boardwalk winds 1,550 feet from the parking area through the marsh and across watery openings and sedges, perfect habitat for a rich variety of birds.
From late April through September, Canada geese, northern pintails, canvasback ducks, red-necked phalaropes, horned and red-necked grebes, and northern harriers use this wetland. Look for eagle nests in the cottonwoods near the base of the bluff using binoculars or a spotting scope. Eagles have a sharp sense of sight and can see at least four times better than people, enabling them to detect movements of small animals like hares from a mile away. When eagles soar overhead, they are scanning open areas for prey.
From May to August, gulls, Arctic terns, shorebirds such as yellowlegs, and occasionally trumpeter swans are present during spring and fall migration.
In addition to birds, look for slow movement and a v-shaped wake in the waters of the marsh, signs of muskrats swimming past. Their small brownish heads peek just above the water as they meander in and out of the wetland's open areas.
Moose also frequent the marsh year round. May and June are good times to see these large ungulates standing in the marsh foraging for new growth.
About halfway along the boardwalk, Rabbit Creek flows underneath and provides a good spot to see spawning chinook, coho, or humpback salmon from May to August, depending on the species. Spot their bright red bodies swimming in the creek.



Potter Marsh has a boardwalk with cut in areas so that you can stop and view the birds or whatever wildlife that you may fine.  I was hoping not only for birds but to see moose.  I feel that I have been here long enough that I should see a moose soon.  Well, that didn't happen.

Instead, halfway thru my birding ( and trust me it was wonderful), a woman with her huge camera came around and asked if I saw anything yet.  I told her about these birds with blue on their body and brown wings and a white belly and I had never seen them before.  She told me they were tree swallows.  They were beautiful and I wished I had gotten a picture of one.  

I didn't.  

The woman and I went around the whole park together showing each other what we saw and of course her being native, she told me about the birds.  I also saw some salmon swimming down stream.  They were very small but I still saw them.  


                                                        Chugach Mountains
                                                                     Chugach
                                                                     Chugach
                                                           Overhead plane

                                                                  Tree Swallow




She is going down the Kenai fjoirds soon and I am hitching a ride.  Actually, she and I are making our own plans but on the same day.  She is a big bird watcher and photographs them to put calendars together for her friends.  I found out later that she is a retired computer geek. Hence, the pictures she takes.  I think I made a friend today.  




                                                                            Eagle







Tree Swallow Nest


Wild Iris




Tree Swallow and their babies




Comments

  1. How rare and wonderful is that flash of a moment when we realize we have discovered a friend. Johann Woldgang von Goethe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hachiko / Shibuya / Sushi /and pronouncing Japanese words quiz

Thank God tomorrow is Friday!